All moms have a long list of titles: caretaker, lunch maker, nurse and human pillow, to name a few. Over three and a half years ago I added business owner to that list of titles. While I firmly believe taking the leap was a good step for me, it definitely took up whatever free time I did have.
Over the years, I’ve learned that in order to be a better parent I need to take some time for self care. Afterwards I’m refreshed and can take on a whole lot more tantrums. Without it I get burned out and that’s no good for anyone.
Here are some tips that I have worked for me:
- Put it on the calendar! If I do this I’m more likely to commit. Better yet, if I book a sitter or buy a ticket to a movie, I can’t cancel.
- Unplug. Read a book instead. Staying off of social media for a few hours does wonders. I recently finished this series and can’t wait for the sequel.
- Hide your favorite treats from your family and have a movie night all to yourself (or binge watch your favorite show, I’m watching American Horror Story Coven again.)
- Commit to working out 1-2 times a week. With both boys in school for at least a few hours now I signed up for Orange Theory. Yoga is usually more my speed but I love how much you get out of an hour there! My head is also clearer as a result of working out.
- Have a spa night. This is one of my favorite masks and I swear by this nail polish. I’ve been known to steal one of the kids bath bombs too!
- Have a date night or coffee with friends. I’m a firm believer that laughter helps you live longer.
- When in doubt, take a solo trip to Target. Just watch this video first.
I’d love to know, how do you unwind and take time for yourself?